Real Estate and Land Use
Our attorneys recognize that commercial real estate development is at the heart and soul of the Northern Virginia region. Whether structuring a commercial development deal or navigating the entitlement process, our team of real estate attorneys knows that great results come from skilled attorneys who know the real estate development business. We recognize that our services impact our client’s investment. Our attorneys are in tune with the market and local government issues affecting real estate development in Northern Virginia. We represent businesses and individuals who are real estate developers, investors, purchasers, lenders, landlords, tenants, and other stakeholders, in all phases of the real estate development lifecycle, including acquisition, financing, entitlement, site development, construction, leasing and disposition.
Commercial Real Estate Transactions
We understand that no two commercial transactions are alike and that most anything is possible if not negotiable in a commercial setting. The vast experience that our real estate team brings to the table provides our clients with the knowledge and comfort that each commercial transaction will be handled with the focus and diligence that each special and unique transaction requires. Although no two deals are alike, our real estate section has dealt with a spectrum of issues including but not limited to:
- Drafting & Negotiation of Commercial Leases
- Drafting & Negotiation of Commercial Purchase Agreements
- Commercial Lending Representation
- Commercial Real Estate Debt Acquisition
- Foreclosure Acquisitions
- Land Acquisitions
- Commercial Short Sale Negotiations
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes
- Unit Association Disputes
- Ground Leases
- Lease Buyouts
- Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions
- Reciprocal Construction, Operation and Easement Agreements
- Development Agreements
- Tenant-in-Common (TIC) Agreements
Land Use & Zoning
Our real estate and land use team helps clients obtain entitlements and other necessary approvals for using and developing land and buildings. Whether providing a zoning analysis to help investors understand their options, representing an applicant for a rezoning, special use permit, variance or other approval, or representing a client before the Board of Zoning Appeals, our team has the knowledge, skills and relationships to manage risk and advocate for our client’s interests. Some of the matters handled by our attorneys include:
- Proffer Condition Amendments
- Special Permits, Special Use Permits, Special Exceptions
- Subdivision and Site Plan Approvals
- Sign Permit Applications
- Board of Zoning Appeals Matters
- Subdivision Deeds
- Zoning Analysis
- Zoning Determination Requests
Commercial Real Estate Litigation
In addition to transactional real estate representation, our attorneys at Protorae Law assist their clients with complex real estate litigation matters. Our real estate team has represented clients in a vast array of real estate matters that have made their way into the courtroom ranging from injunctions preventing foreclosures, to boundary line disputes hinging upon extremely intricate title issues. Some of the represented litigation matters handled by our real estate attorneys include the following:
- Representation of the members of a family trust involving the setting aside a deed, quiet title action and fraudulent actions of a former family member.
- Representation of heirs seeking an injunction for the improper foreclosure of a lien that had expired under the applicable statute of limitations.
- Representation of a family in an injunction for the improper foreclosure of a residence.
- Representation of owners of residential real estate who were sued over a boundary line dispute involving an easement where key issues surrounded the validity of an ambiguous easement over 50 years old.
- Representation of landlords seeking possession of commercial real estate pursuant to breach of lease agreements.
- Representation of investors seeking possession of real estate investments upon purchase through foreclosure sales.
- Representation of commercial real estate owner related to fraudulent acquisition and placement of fixtures to real property.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ALL CLIENT MATTERS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH MATTER. PAST SUCCESSES DO NOT PREDICT OR GUARANTEE FUTURE SUCCESSES.