Brian Chandler focuses his practice on employment matters, resolving business disputes, breach of contract actions, and corporate control matters. Brian heads the firm’s Employment Law practice, and is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation and Unfair Business Practices teams.
Brian’s employment practice includes drafting employment agreements, negotiating covenants not to compete and non-solicitation provisions; and handling employment litigation matters and matters before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry. Brian also counsels clients on employment law compliance issues and the creation and implementation of employment policies.
In addition to employment law matters, Brian represents businesses in breach of contract actions, commercial disputes, business torts, and commercial real estate disputes. Brian has extensive experience handling matters in Virginia state courts; the District of Columbia Superior Court; and federal courts throughout the country. In all his matters, Brian takes a results-oriented approach to solving his client’s problems. Depending on the case, this approach may result in a full-scale trial on the merits, an out-of-court settlement through mediation, or an arbitration hearing.
Prior to co-founding Protorae Law, Brian worked at several law firms including Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice and Cooley Godward, LLP. Brian is admitted to the Virginia State Bar, the District of Columbia Bar, and is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Brian received his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law where he was active in the Lile Moot Court. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Georgetown University where he graduated magna cum laude and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
- Enforced a non-competition agreement in Virginia Circuit Court incorporating out-of-state choice of law provisions
- Represented client in an EEOC investigation of Title VII discrimination charges
- Negotiated a favorable out-of-court resolution to a Title VII claim on behalf of an employer
- Litigated wage and hour defenses on behalf of employer in federal court
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Super Lawyer – Employment & Labor, Super Lawyers, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- 2018 – 2015 Virginia Legal Elite – Labor/Employment, Virginia Business
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ALL CLIENT MATTERS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH MATTER. PAST SUCCESSES DO NOT PREDICT OR GUARANTEE FUTURE SUCCESSES.