John Williams is a member of the firm, working within the Business Transactions, Real Estate and Land Use, and Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Law practice teams. An experienced corporate attorney, John’s practice focuses on advising clients on complex business transactions, including drafting and negotiating partnership agreements, joint venture agreements, real estate development agreements, and design/construction contracts.
John also has considerable background strategically advising businesses and business owners on corporate planning, ownership transitions, management re-organizations, equity-based compensation plans, and executive employee matters. In addition, John advises clients on M&A deals, often serving as seller’s counsel to company founders on transactions with private equity buyers or venture capital investors.
Born in Washington, DC, John grew up in Northern Virginia, and is a graduate of Wake Forest University School of Law and Virginia Tech. John is a member of the Urban Land Institute (ULI), the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), the Small and Emerging Contractors Advisory Forum (SECAF), and a regular attendee at the Virginia Annual Business Law Conference. John is also fluent in Spanish, and has experience advising on transactions requiring Spanish fluency.
- Represented local developer in the acquisition, design, and construction of condominium development in Washington, DC’s Columbia Heights neighborhood
- Represented datacenter design-builder in external sale to private equity buyer
- Represented local franchisee in negotiation of multi-unit development agreement with national franchisor for the development of 25 franchise locations in the Northern Virginia territory
- Represented controlling ownership group of a well-known restaurant in Washington, DC’s U Street corridor in the buyout and removal of minority shareholder
- Salvadoran-American Chamber of Commerce, Employment Law Seminar, November 2019
- National Business Institute, Construction Law from Start to Finish, October 2019
- Urban Land Institute’s Housing Initiative Council, Housing Development Horrors, Fall 2018 Meeting
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Virginia Legal Elite – Construction, Virginia Business