Devon Hewitt, a partner at Protorae Law, has over 25 years’ experience in the field of Government Contracts and represents emerging, small, mid-size and large government contractors located across the United States and abroad. Ms. Hewitt leads the firm’s Government Contracts practice, and is best known as a bid protest attorney, having participated in well over 100 bid protests lodged at various federal agencies, including the Small Business Administration and the Government Accountability Office. She also has participated in bid protests filed at the United States Court of Federal Claims and is one of the few bid protest attorneys that has argued bid protest decisions on appeal at the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Recent Bid Protests
- Successfully filed a Motion for Temporary Restraining Order and Preliminary Injunction to enjoin the Department of State’s override of CICA stay imposed in a GAO protest challenging the award of a $40 million task order by the Foreign Service Institute
- Prevailed in a series of GAO bid protests challenging the Department of State’s award of a $240 million contract for foreign language instruction, testing services, and curriculum development
- Successfully defended awardee in a GAO bid protest challenging the Defense Threat Reduction Agency’s award of a $54 million task order award for engineering support and vulnerability assessments
- Won appeal of the SBA’s determination that an awardee of a HUD asset management contract was “other than small” based on the “ostensible subcontractor” affiliation principle
Other Recent Representative Matters
- Represented a Singapore company in a AAA arbitration dispute with a large federal contractor over non-payment for the construction of Army garrisons in Afghanistan
- Represented owner and CEO of a government contractor suspended and proposed for debarment for allegedly engaging in bribery with the city of Detroit; Justice Department agreed to enter into an Administrative Agreement instead of pursuing debarment
- Represented a large government contractor “Mentor” in drafting and negotiating a second Mentor/Protégé Agreement and associated Joint Venture Agreement with its second proposed “Protégé”
- Represented government contractor in negotiations of a Project Agreement under an Other Transaction Agreement managed by the National Spectrum Consortium for the study of Radio Frequency Spectrum usage by DoD
- Represented SDVOSB is the sale of a division of the company with contracts and task orders under GSA Schedule contracts requiring novation
- Represented manufacturer of technology used to detect explosives and chemical warfare agents in negotiating a Cooperative Agreement with the Department of Homeland Security
- Represented small business contractor against a cease and desist action alleging the small business violated noncompete and nonsolicitation provisions of a subcontract with large contractor
- Represented SDVOSB in negotiation of a GSA Contractor Teaming Agreement with large public relations firm
- Represented small government contractor in creating its Code of Ethics and Business Conduct and developing an Organizational Conflict of Interest mitigation plan
- Represented government contractor in challenging the release of proprietary and confidential proposal information under the Freedom of Information Act
Honors and Awards
- 2020 Government Contracts Attorney, Super Lawyers, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- 2019 Top Attorney – Government Contracts, Arlington Magazine
- 2020 – 2015 Virginia Legal Elite – Legislative / Regulatory / Administrative, Virginia Business
- 2016 AV Preeminent Peer Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2014 Washington SmartCEO Power Players Finalist
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ALL CLIENT MATTERS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH MATTER. PAST SUCCESSES DO NOT PREDICT OR GUARANTEE FUTURE SUCCESSES.