David Hannah is a partner at Protorae Law. David heads the firm’s Commercial Lending practice and is a member of the firm’s Real Estate, Construction Law, and Business Transactions practice teams. He is a transactional attorney who focuses on assisting banks and financial institutions, real estate developers, and business owners in all aspects of complex commercial transactions.
David represents community, regional, and national banks and other commercial lending institutions across a broad spectrum of lending areas. In addition to traditional real estate secured and asset-based commercial lending programs, David handles specialized construction loans, mezzanine financing, multi-bank credit facilities and loan workouts and foreclosures. With more than 20 years of experience representing lender clients, he gets deals done in a direct, diligent and cost-effective manner.
David is also a LEED Accredited Professional for the design, construction and operation of green buildings. David is experienced in providing legal advice and business guidance to real estate developer clients in all aspects of real estate acquisition, finance, entitlement, development, construction and leasing. He also assists business owners by creating, developing and negotiating complex asset acquisition, finance and leasing transaction structures to help them achieve their financial and business objectives.
In addition to his legal experience, David has broad based, hands-on business and entrepreneurial experience, including U.S. and international business planning and operations as a principal and senior executive in the telecommunications industry giving him an understanding of the practical business issues faced by his clients. David is also an Adjunct Professor at the Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University where he teaches Secured Finance.
A lifelong resident of Vienna, Virginia, David is married to Joni Hannah, the Director of Tennis at Westwood Country Club in Vienna, and they have two daughters together, Ryan and Jordan. David graduated from James Madison High School, Rollins College, and George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School and is a member of the Board of Directors of Leadership Fairfax.
- Lender’s counsel for a regional bank and documented, negotiated and closed an $83,000,000 construction loan for state-of-the art data center facility
- Lender’s counsel for a national bank in a $66,000,000 multi-bank syndicated loan facility with multiple borrowers and secured by real property and tangible and intangible assets located in multiple jurisdictions
- Lead counsel for local real estate developer in complex commercial real estate transaction involving the sale of a mixed-use facility and leaseback of retail space in Arlington, Virginia
- Represented regional health and fitness company in connection with a build-to-suit lease transaction for the construction and long-term lease of a 45,000 square foot facility
- Lender’s counsel for national bank in a $18,000,000 asset-based revolving line of credit facility to a government contracting firm
- Developed forms of commitment letter, construction loan agreement and other loan documents for use by a community bank in all construction lending transactions
- Lead counsel for an international fast-casual food service company in the acquisition of 18 restaurant sites from one of its franchisees
- Represented community bank in purchase of a participation interest from an international commercial real estate financial institution in a $75,000,000 construction loan to regional real estate developer for a retail facility
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ALL CLIENT MATTERS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH MATTER. PAST SUCCESSES DO NOT PREDICT OR GUARANTEE FUTURE SUCCESSES.